Clooz is able to import and export people, events, media file references, sources A source record in Clooz should be viewed as the higher level components of a source citation. Citation details are pulled from the citing Information Record., and repositories Where a source document or item was found. This could be a physical library facility or online data provider. with other genealogy programs you may be using. The capabilities and transfer methods vary somewhat with each program depending upon how much direct access their developers have permitted Clooz to use. Clooz directly reads several types of files, allowing Clooz to obtain internal identifiers for records. In a few cases, Clooz is allowed to write data directly into the external files resulting in fewer steps the user need take. In all other cases, the data transfer needs to be done using GEDCOM files. Clooz uses special identifiers whenever possible to allow the external program to recognize a person being imported as the same as one already in its database. Because of the use of these internal identifiers, Clooz is able to maintain linkage to people records in the specific programs listed below. Using generic or FamilyTreeMaker's format of GEDCOM files allow you to transfer data, but don't provide a solid basis for maintaining a persistent linkage. If you don't see your favorite program listed, contact the developers of your program and ask they allow Clooz to interface with them.
|External Program||Import Method||Export Method|
|Clooz (another database)||Direct Read||Not Available|
|Legacy Family Tree||Direct Read||Direct Write|
|Family Historian||Direct Read||Direct Write|
|RootsMagic||Direct Read||Via GEDCOM*|
|Ancestral Quest||Direct Read||Via GEDCOM*|
|All others||Via GEDCOM||Via GEDCOM|
There are two features in Clooz supporting data exchange with other programs:
- Used for all imports (people, sources, and repositories). Events (other than the person's birth, marriage, death) and family positioning are not supported by this method. Options are provided to import sources related to a person and establishing research planning tasks to review each and extract additional information in Clooz.
- Exports one or more people, sources, or repositories (with associated media). Events (other than the vital events in the Subject record These are records in the Clooz database representing the Subjects being researched, and contain summary information about the Subject such as the birth, marriage, and death dates for people.) and family positioning are not supported by this method (instead use the Record Exporter).
- Access the Data Transfer Manager from the External File A database or GEDCOM file independent of the currently open Clooz database. These usually support other family tree programs, although it could be a different Clooz database. Links screen on the Home tab page. See Connecting with External Files.
- Exporting an Information Record Information Records in Clooz hold the content information coming from a document or other source. These differ from a Source record that contains most of the citation information describing the docment, or the Repository record referring to the facility or online service where the document was found. will allow you to export all the people in the record, their events, attached media, and source citations (including repository).
- Access the Record Exporter by selecting Export Item from the context menu displayed by right-clicking a Subject Subjects are the objects you are gathering information about. In most cases with Clooz, this is people. However, Clooz supports several other types of subjects such as businesses, real estate/buildings, ships and artifacts., Information Record, Source or Repository on the main screen.
Each of these has differing capabilities as noted above. Choose the one that best meets your transfer objective. The Data Transfer Manager is better for bulk transfers or for copying people (the only type of Subject generally supported by other programs). The Record Exporter makes better use of Information Record data, including all of its associated events and family relationships. The table below offers recommendations for typical objectives.
|Use Clooz to more thoroughly review evidence found for specific people in your family tree.||Import people from your family tree program using the Data Transfer Manager, with options selected to include supporting sources and generation of research plan to track the review of the imported sources.|
|Use Clooz as the basis for a complete family tree "redo."||You might import sources from your family tree program using the Data Transfer Manager, with options selected to include repositories and media. You may include the people and generation of research plans. A more thorough "redo" though would be to start with a blank Clooz file and enter in all of the information you can find, creating new people as you identify them.|
|Quickly establish links between people in Clooz and those in the external file.||Import people using the Data Transfer Manager.|
|Setup an index of all the documents, pictures, maps, etc. I have found while building Real estate or buildings is a Subject type in Clooz. This could be any type of property: land plot, farm, building, etc. my family tree.||Import sources using the Data Transfer Manager, with option to include related people. Extract Information Records (events and family definition or detail transcription is not necessary if an index is the end goal). Add Information Records for all items you have in your files not already in Clooz.|
|Add events I have identified for a person in Clooz to that same person in my family tree program.||Export Information Records for that person using the Record Exporter. Ensure the record identifier (or RIN) for each Subject (person) is appearing, indicating Clooz already has them linked. Otherwise, determine the value from your external program and enter it in the field. Select the events and other details that you want to be included. If transfer is via GEDCOM, ensure you import it into your external program and use its tools to avoid any duplication of records.|
|Add people in Clooz as new people in my family tree program.||Export Information Records for that person using the Record Exporter. The record identifier (or RIN) field is likely blank (indicating Clooz does not have this person linked to a person in your external file). Use the Families tab of the Record Exporter to review how this new person might be added to an existing family, or how a new family will be setup in your family tree.|
The most efficient use of Clooz is as a research tool while first gathering evidence to expand your family tree or historical details (as opposed to retrospective analysis of past research efforts). Collect and analyze the information you find in Clooz first, and then export the evidence-supported data to your family tree.
To use these functions to import or export data, refer to these additional topics:
- Connecting with External Files
- Synchronization with External Record Identifiers
- Data Transfer Manager
- Record Exporter
- Importing Data from External Files
- Exporting Data to External Files: Using Data Transfer Manager, Using Record Exporter